Friday, January 28, 2011

Proud

I've never really been good at sports. It's not something that bothers me, it just is what it is. It's just not my thing and there's no problem with that. For some reason however, Lucie seems to not only love her sport but to have a level of skill & coordination that most certainly didn't come from her mother. It's all Jeremy's doing, no doubt about it. I hope in the years to come she can find and be a part of something she loves, be it sports of otherwise.


Anyway, I did once win a trophy. In 1987 for netball. It's not what you think though, it wasn't about being good at it. I won the 'team spirit' award. I've told Lucie about it before and she is so into the whole story that when I was cleaning out our house recently (big cull!!), I just couldn't part with it. I gave it to her to keep and you'd have thought I'd given her the world cup trophy. 


For the last few weeks she's been taking it everywhere with her. She shows it to people we visit and even took it into our neighbour's house to show it off. It's kind of embarrassing (especially when she blurts out that "guess what? Mummy is so good at netball she won this" - only to have them realise we're talking the '80s). More than anything, it really makes me smile. 

The impact we can have on our kids lives is so evident sometimes. What stands out so much to me in all of this, is how clever, how perfect and how highly skilled we are in the eyes of those who look up to us (even if it's only really team spirit you have to offer). 



1 comment:

  1. what a beautiful story & a beautiful reminder! thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete