Sunday, February 6, 2011

Ode to Jeremy


Short version:

Today I made cupcakes. I forgot to add enough icing sugar. What you see if pretty much all butter. Gross! Oops. What a waste of time. You'd think I would have wondered why the frosting was so yellow! The end.

Long version, if you're bored:

At 1:30pm today I was standing in my kitchen with 12 cupcakes. They were frosted and ready for the baby shower I was attending at 2:30pm. That's why I'd popped them back in the pan - to travel (note to self - must one day buy cupcake carrier). 

Now all I had to do was clean the kitchen, shower, get dressed, wrap the present, get Lucie packed for her play at my Mum's and then of course, arrive on time. I hate being late, so that final one was up there as a priority.

All of this was very much possible because I was in fact running on time. Now that the cupcakes were done I was set to keep moving. Jeremy then popped his head in, shocked that I hadn't passed them through "quality control". "But I only had enough flour for a batch of 12" I explained. 

Sure enough, he managed to find out there were going to be 11 guests at the shower. THANK GOD he did. "While they look great" he announced, "I think I just ate whipped butter". That was when I realised I'd tripled the mixture but forgotten that part when it came time to add my icing sugar. So yes, they were essentially butter frosted cakes. 

Two choices - 1) cry and admit defeat or 2) start over. We of course took the second option. I did consider option one for about 30 seconds but that was all I had time for. 

I didn't have time for more baking and nor did I have anymore butter so I had to re-use the same frosting. Jeremy did the took it off each cupcake as I made it over again by adding MUCH more icing sugar. It tasted way better - I'd not tasted it earlier as I'm trying not to eat anything bad for me but this time wasn't risking it (just a teeny-tiny bit). While I piped them again, Jeremy quickly dropped Lucie over to Mum's. He's working tonight so she couldn't stay home. I then had time to wrap the gift and dress. The shower had to wait, but I was clean already anyway! The kitchen wasn't, but that was hardly life or death.

Me and ten (due to another round of quality control "to double check") cupcakes made it safely to the baby shower at 2:45pm, not too bad really. 

My point - Jeremy was amazing. When I fall over he's always there to lift me up. I'm ok when things are hectic and crazy, but he's even better. He is the most relaxed and stress free person you'll ever meet. Can you believe he even cleaned the kitchen after I left? I came home to total organisation - the true way to my heart (and he knows it). 

If you're wondering, the new cupcakes looked exactly as above. There simply wasn't time to photograph them. 

Baby showers can be hard when you were meant to be pregnant too, but it was still REALLY, REALLY lovely. I only got 7/40 on a game about baby animals though, I am so bad at anything animal. I also wrote Foal, as foul. I don't know why. I like horses, so it wasn't intended. I hope nobody found my answer sheet.  





No comments:

Post a Comment