Monday, March 14, 2011

Important questions at the sausage shop

We were at Vic market on Sunday and about thirty seconds after I took this photo Lucie suddenly asked Caroline (my sister) "if two girls get married and have a baby, who gets to be the Mummy and who gets to be the Daddy?". Caroline looks at me and tells me this is my one to answer. 

This of course has nothing to do with Caroline not knowing what to say. I know with certainty what she'd say, but unfortunately this kind of question comes down to what the actual parent present chooses to tell their kid. I say unfortunately because I find it a bit sad that some parents choose to tell their kids that that kind of scenario isn't ok. Personally, I wish it didn't come down to a matter of opinion.

My response: "They both get to be the Mummy. The baby would have two mummies, and that's ok". Lucie then nods before moving onto something totally unrelated - I think it was the type of treat she was hoping for at the end of the shopping trip.

For the record, I DO appreciate, and respect, that some parents would indeed find my response the unfortunate one. Each to their own. It's not up to me to educate or teach any children other than my own and I would never try to do this. Needless to say, it's something I often have to bite my tongue over. I also realise that my opinions contradict my Christianity, but that's a whole other post.

Imagine how hard it would be to challenge something you've believed your whole life. Kids do (pretty much always) believe what their parents tell them and if I'd chosen to tell Lucie that a child having two mummies wasn't acceptable, that's no doubt what she'd grow up thinking (dare I say it again... unfortunate, to me anyway). I am thankful that my parents are very open-minded and I'd this to be the same for Lucie.

My point is that it is just such a HUGE responsibility having this influence over your children. Until she gets older herself, Jeremy & I have the power and that's a little (actually, a lot) scary. Needless to say, she'll make up her own mind one day about pretty much everything and I'll be watching, listening, and HOPING, with much interest. 

3 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you're saying! Whether or not we agree on everything, we still each have incredible (and scary) power over our children! i think about that often... they are going to believe what I tell them... so I better be sure I mean what I say and say what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, Sarah!

    p.s to this post - Also very worth me noting that some of my very favourite mums in the world do not share my opinions, but that does not change how much I love and admire them.

    We're all just doing our best. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Jen in the post and in your comment above. I think you handled Lucie's question very well. I think it's best not to make a big deal with some of the trickier questions kids ask cos they just want an answer and then they move on so fast!
    You're an ace mummy and I love how simple you make things and how accepting you are of all people - even me with my crazy OCD foibles! ; )
    Amy xoxo

    ReplyDelete